Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

The terrible twos have arrived and left me shocked. Shocked, dismayed and bewildered. Sure, I've heard about other people's children having temper tantrums and testing their boundaries but never thought my little birdie would follow suit. Why would she have a temper tantrum, she gets to do whatever she wants.

You wanna color Eilish? Let's color!

You want to dance? Throw on some Zeppelin and let's do this!

You want some blueberries for a snack? Coming right up!

You want to play bus driver? All aboard!

You don't want to put on your coat before you go outside? Why?! It's -10 outside.

What do you mean you don't want to have a bath? You love having a bath!

You don't want to go to bed? Really? You've been rubbing your eyes for the last half hour!

You're 'not going anywhere'? Where did you even learn that phrase?

You just grabbed that toy out of Mama's hand! What the ass is up with that?

You want to SCREAM and CRY and get all snotty and blotchy? That's peculiar, nothing really happened, we just put on the wrong Beatles song. Oh, I get it…this is a TANTRUM!

Now what?


Eilish is usually such a chill little girl. Having her test her boundaries leaves me sitting there, mouth agape STUNNED at the fact that she is acting like any other 2 year old on the planet! I know I can be naive about certain things but I honestly thought Eilish was above all this nonsense. She doesn't go to day care so it's not something she learned from another kid so it must be a nature vs. nurture thing. She has turned in to a little dictator and when she doesn't get what she wants, she loses her shit.

Sound like anyone you know?

And when I try to discipline her, give her a time out, she has to give me a running commentary of everything I just said:

Mama mad.

Mama sad.

Mama not joking.

Mama take away.

Eilish no move.

Ahh!

Ahhhhh!

Mama!

Mama!

Mom!

Moooom!

Moooooooom!!!!!!!!!!

I dare someone to ask me if I'm having another kid.

2 comments:

ARGrogan said...

So if I have a girl she's going to have one hell of a wardrobe courtesy of the little dictator who lives in your house. I'm sure that in 2 years and three months I will be able to sympathize with you! Thank God she's cute!!

Anonymous said...

There is a barrage of comments I could put in here....
It's not just 2 you have to worry about.
When the aunts tell you its a sin, she doesn't do those things, you just smile and nod until it happens when they're around.
It's all good, at seven she'll have bigger fish to fry than trying to test you. And you won't be stunned anymore!
Love
Me